2012/09/21

Sumie - Japanese black ink painting


Today I attended a brief workshop in "sumie", the Japanese style of black ink painting. Like last time, I just used a regular watercolour brush and acrylic paint. But, inspired as I was, I just ordered two synthetic calligraphy brushes. And tomorrow I'll experiment with making my own vegan ink!
If you ever get the opportunity to try sumi-e, do, because it is truly the most relaxing thing I've ever experienced - even a failed painting turns into nothing more than an inspiration to make another, a better one.

3 comments:

  1. These paintings look amazing, Nancy! Just a few brushstrokes... and such a gorgeous effect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really should be very relaxing to who paints Sumie, because it is very relaxing to the observer!!
    I want to see your next paintings! :)))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful paintings.....Hi my name is Tiara, I'm 9 years old and I love to paint....please see my paintings....www.gallerytiara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete